Feb 16, 2017
Salt & Straw February Flavors Celebrate LA Chocolatiers
Available at all four Salt & Straw locations in Los Angeles Starting February 3rd
L-R: Matcha Mint Chocolate Ganache; ChocoVivo’s Mayan Tradition; Marzipan Chocolate Tango
WHAT: Salt & Straw, the small-batch ice cream purveyor known for its artisanal, chef-driven approach to the American classic, will start scooping flavors from its “LA Chocolatiers” series starting Friday, February 3rd. Head Ice Cream Maker Tyler Malek collaborated with five of his favorite local chocolate makers (Compartés, Twenty-Four Blackbirds, Bar au Chocolat, ChocoVivo, and Ococoa) to craft the decadent month-long lineup, which highlights each of their unique styles, ingredients, and techniques via ice cream. Flavors will be available by the scoop at the Larchmont Village, Abbot Kinney, Studio City, and Arts District locations all month; pints are also available for Valentine’s Day gifts at at-home splurging. For more information, visit saltandstraw.com/flavors/#la. (Note: flavors will officially be updated on February 3rd.)
WHEN: Friday, February 3rd – Thursday, March 2nd, 2017
· Compartés' Spring Awakening: Design-forward and cutting edge, Compartés’ Jonathan Grahm creates stunning bars and truffles with the philosophy that chocolate is art. In this flavor, we captured the color and joy of Compartes’ Spring Awakening bar—milk chocolate jeweled with freeze-dried strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. In our take, we coat the same suite of berries in milk chocolate and stir them by the handful into milk chocolate ice cream with a kick of strawberry vanilla jam from Laura Ann’s Jams.
· Twenty-Four Blackbirds' Matcha Mint Chocolate Ganache: Santa Barbara bean-to-bar maker Mike Orlando combines his eclectic career path as a marine biologist, analytical chemist, drummer, and coffee enthusiast to put the science in chocolate making. This ice cream captures the method Mike uses in his mint ganache truffles—dehydrating Santa Barbara mint leaves and blending them into cream and single-origin Ecuadorian chocolate—stirred into matcha ice cream with a touch of citrus to bring everything together.
· Bar au Chocolat's Marzipan Chocolate Tango: Nicole Trutanich of Bar au Chocolat has an instinctive, nearly mystical approach to making chocolate. We joined the tango in this flavor, working back-and-forth with Nicole to create a marzipan custard ice cream that pairs seamlessly with a malted milk chocolate fudge. Close your eyes and get lost in the music of every bite.
· ChocoVivo's Mayan Tradition: ChocoVivo’s bean-to-bar alchemist Patricia Tsai makes incredible chocolate using a stone-grinding method inspired by Mayan and Aztec cacao craftsmanship, incorporating whole spices with roasted beans in bold flavor combinations. This spiced chocolate ice cream combines cacao nibs, California almonds, Ceylon Cinnamon Sticks, three kinds of chiles, and a touch of salt for a deliciously balanced and warming delight.
· Ococoa's Port & Caramel Truffle: An up-and-comer in the Los Angeles chocolate scene, Ococoa’s Diana Malouf brings a gentle touch and nod to old-world chocolatier tradition with her butter cups and truffle bars, named some of “America’s Best Chocolate” by Bon Appétit Magazine. In this flavor, we showcase the flavors of Diana’s Tawny Port Truffle Bar with a port and salted caramel chocolate ice cream decked out with port chocolate sauce and slices of ganache to pump up the chocolate factor even more.
WHERE: Available at all four Salt & Straw locations in LA!
· 240 N. Larchmont Blvd., Los Angeles, CA - (323) 466-0485
· 1357 Abbot Kinney Blvd., Venice, CA - (310) 310-8429
· 12180 ½ Ventura Blvd, Los Angeles, CA - (818) 358-2890
· 829 E. 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA - (213) 988-7070
Mickey’s Halloween Party ticket is now on sale!!! I am trying to get tickets now since I am a Disney Visa Card Holder. Cardmembe...
The California Strawberry Festival is among the top festivals in the nation with over 50 food booths, contests, rides and attractions, o...
ACTRESS STANA KATIC FROM THE HIT TV SHOW “CASTLE” LIGHTS THE LEGO ® CHRISTMAS TREE AT LEGOLAND...
Hofsas House Hotel Celebrates Its 70th Anniversary, Carmel-by-the-Sea’s 101st Birthday and Announces Its 2017 PackagesIn Carmel-by-the-Sea, the Theis family is celebrating its 70th Anniversary of European hospitality at its beautiful Bavarian-inspired H...